The start date of each session:
Timeline for the Specialist Journal Club in Internal Medicine 2013-14:
Sept 30, 2013: Introductory Session begins
Oct 14, 2013: Session One begins (first article)
Nov 18, 2013: Session Two begins (second article)
Dec 21, 2013 – Jan 12, 2014: Winter Break (No Journal Club)
Jan 13, 2014: Session Three begins (third article)
Feb 16, 2014: Session Four begins (fourth article)
Mar 13, 2014 – Apr 1, 2014: Spring Break (No Journal Club)
Apr 2, 2014: Session Five begins (fifth article)
May 2, 2014: Journal Club concludes
Activities during the introduction session include an orientation period where participants self-introduction and online voting on topic areas.
The topics of sessions 1-5 will be determined based on course registrants’ suggestions.
For your interest, the following are articles discussed in Specialist Journal Club in Internal Medicine
– Krum H, Pitt B, Pocock S.J, et al. Eplerenone in Patients with Systolic Heart Failure and Mild Symptoms. N Engl J Med. 2011. 364(1): 1-11.
– Pratt D & Kaplan M. Evaluation of Abnormal Liver-Enzyme Results in Asymptomatic Patients. N Engl J Med. 2000. 342:1266-1271.
– Jefferson T, Jones MA, Doshi P, Del Mar CB, Heneghan CJ, Hama R, Thompson MJ. Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in healthy adults and children (Review). The Cochrane Library. 2012. Issue 10.
– Aoki, F.Y, Allen, U.D, Striver, H.G & Evans, G.A. The Use of Antiviral Drugs for Influenza: Guidelines for Practitioners 2012/13. Can J Infect Did Med MicroBiol. 2012. 23:4.
– Devereaux PJ, Chan MT, Alonso-Coello P, et al; Vascular Events In Noncardiac Surgery Patients Cohort Evaluation (VISION) Study Investigators. Association between postoperative troponin levels and 30-day mortality among patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. JAMA. 2012. 307(21):2295-2304
– Felker GM, Lee KL, Bull DA, et al. NHLBI Heart Failure Clinical Research Network. Diuretic strategies in patients with acute decompensated heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:797-805.
– Douma RA, Moc IC, Erkens PM, et al. Performance of 4 clinical decision rules in the diagnostic management of acute pulmonary embolism: a prospective cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2011; 154: 709-18.
– Boyd JH, Forbes J, Nakada TA, et al. Fluid resuscitation in septic shock: a positive fluid balance and elevated central venous pressure are associated with increased mortality. Crit Care Med. 2011;39:259-65.
– Lederle FA, Zylla D, MacDonald R, Wilt TJ. Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in hospitalized medical patients and those with stroke: a background review for an American College of Physicians clinical practice guideline. Ann Intern Med. 2011;155(9):602-15.
– Gulliksson M, Burell G, Vessby B, et al. Randomized controlled trial of cognitive behavioral therapy vs standard treatment to prevent recurrent cardiovascular events in patients with coronary heart disease: Secondary Prevention in Uppsala Primary Health Care project (SUPRIM). Arch Intern Med;171(2):134-40.